- Lynn Henning penned an interesting piece about Joaquín Benoit. Fun fact: Benoit’s read The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho—twice!
- Crain’s Detroit Business has caught wind of the “¿Sí or No?” shirts!
- Ken Rosenthal wrote a pretty good piece about Miguel Cabrera’s move to third base.
- Turns out Elmon isn’t interested in DHing. Now, I might not be a Young fan, but the comments to that article are hilariously awful.
- Check out this older but still relevant Bless You Boys piece on Joel Zumaya: An Investigation: Joel Zumaya
- Andy Oliver made a fine Spring debut. And also, apparently, pitched one more inning than he was meant to due to a miscommunication with the pitching coach. Was Tony La Russa in the building?
- Tim Kurkjian and the Baseball Tonight crew stopped by Tigers camp recently.
- In non-Tigers-related Tim Kurkjian news, check out Toronto Blue Jays catcher J.P. Arencibia’s hilarious impersonation of Kurkjian here (h/t SportsCenter)
- Fellow Detroit Tigers Scorecard contributor, Grey Papke, writes about expanded playoffs here, and why it might not be such a bad thing after all.
- James Schmehl of MLive writes that Al Alburquerque on track to start throwing program in late March.
- Garret Craig of Motor City Bengals wonders if the age of the Tigers’ bullpen should be an area of concern here.
- The Tigers’ official MLBlog shared its Photo of the Day here.
- And yours truly compared Pudge to G-Money (and wondered which one would make the better backup catcher) here.
It’s time for that age-old tradition: bad Photo Day roster shots!
If you’re anything like me, you wait with bated breath for Photo Day to roll along. Inevitably, almost every picture will be godawful, and you get a great sense of schadenfreude as you gleefully pick apart all the flaws of your favorite ballplayers (which have been magnified by the camera lens for your viewing pleasure). :D
Admittedly, the Tigers’ shots aren’t as bad as some teams’ (such as the San Francisco Giants, who apparently conducted their shoot in the basement of an insane asylum, complete with asylum residents), but there are still gems to be had!
Cats With Bats is excite to present an exclusive interview with Twitter’s own Fake Leyland!
20 Questions With Fake Leyland!!
- Tigers righty Max Scherzer was inducted into the Mizzou Hall of Fame. Check out his speech here! (He’s also on Twitter here, we think. Waiting for the little blue checkmark of verification.)
- Josh Worn at Walkoff Woodward asks: what can you actually expect from Ryan Raburn?
- Carson Cistulli breaks down the best pitches of 2011: fastball (Justin Verlander is on this list!)
- Rick Porcello eyes a fast start (ESPN Insider only, but the Detroit News wrote about Olney’s piece here.)
- Rick Porcello hopes early throwing can help him increase velocity (is this the new “Bonderman is working on a changeup”?)
- Callum Hughson has compiled a list of the best fantasy baseball team names here.
- Yours truly probably infringed a copyright here for the Detroit Tigers Scorecard blog.
- And the drama button.